Our client is a worldwide leader in breeding and development of a wide variety of flowers and plants, esp. bedding plants and perennials. They operate a large network of specialized production sites all over the world and employ close to 8000 employees. On their behalf we are looking for an Operational Manager for their state of the art Elite facility, approx. 55 kms over the Dutch/German border in Germany. In view of this relative short distance, living in Holland is possible, like quite some employees are doing, e.g. in the areas around Arnhem/Nijmegen.
The Elite department is responsible for building up motherplant stock and for ensuring that only pathogen-free material is being utilized as “starting material” for their global production sites. As Manager of the Elite department, you will be head of the Quarantine- and Library-Phase of all company’s genetics. In a new-built facility, together with a team of 25 permanent employees, you will make sure that the starting point of their Supply Chain is healthy and clean by providing an excellent product to their production sites.
The tasks and responsibilities
– Provide leadership to the Elite team (Quarantine- and Library Phase) and create and maintain a stable organization and reliable processes
– Deliver QUOTIF (quality on time in full) fulfilment of products in the most efficient manner
– Connect Elite facility and team with other company operations
– Standardize and further structure the Elite facility operation
– Organize a long term planning for the Library- and Q-phase, to determine the amount of necessary resources, work force, raw material and the estimated costs for the yearly budget
– Responsible for planning and monitoring of all operational costs of their Elite facility
– Bachelor (BSc) or Master (MSc) degree in Production and/or Supply Chain Management – ideally acquired within the specialist field of Agriculture/Horticulture
– Alternatively, candidates with an advanced Grower’s degree (e. g. German Meister or Techniker education) are also welcome to apply
– Minimum of 5 years of proven work experience in a similar job, preferably in Horticulture
– Excellent command of the English language, both verbal and written
– Good command of the German language, both verbal and written
– Analytical mindset, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, team player facilitating cross-functional collaboration
– Proficient computer skills in MS Office applications, particularly with Excel
– Drive for improvements and motivated by rapidly changing organizations
Our client has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Plenty of room is being offered for personal growth and development to its employees. In view of its diversified organization and vast network of operating / production companies worldwide, internal (international) career possibilities are present in this respect. The working environment is informal and easily accessible, in which cooperation is very important.
There will be an extensive period of overlap with their current Elite manager, to ensure a smooth and comprehensive on-boarding process and handover of responsibilities. After being settled in this job there will be an opportunity to add extra responsibilities to this role.